Tuesday, March 17, 2009

lutu na gaunisala (fallen the road)



Yeah last Saturday it rained. Rained like Noah had finished his ark and the lord was trying to destroy the earth kind of rain. I did not approve. High tide started to come in. The water kept rising and rising, coming closer to my house. Around 930pm I rolled up the 12 or so mats I have, put everything up on my table and bunk bed and went to sleep at the chief's house that happens to be on stilts.

The real problem is that the road collapsed into the river during high tide thus blocking off my whole district. We have no bus that can get up to us from Suva and no bus from the north can come down to get to Suva. So basically we are stuck in our district until the road is fixed which could take who knows how long. The bus goes all the way from Suva to a village about a 45 minute walk from my house. Apparently this is unacceptable for PC.

Friday I am going back to my village with some of the Peace Corps staff to talk to my chief and my turaga ni koro (village man). Hopefully we can figure out a solution to this situation. My house is a problem and so is the road. There really aren't any other housing options in the village other building a new one and nothing can be done about the road either, so I'm not sure how much improvement can come from this meeting Friday. We'll see.

No comments: