Friday, February 13, 2009

FRE-7s

I know I just posted, but I'm totally excited about the new volunteers. They come in May! That's so soon. In fact, less than 100 days. I remember what I was like around this time last year. I was freaking out inside and reading blogs and stalking volunteers on facebook about what to pack. I was so concerned about WHAT I packed that I didn't really prepare myself emotionally for the PC experience. But looking back, there's really no way to prepare yourself for this. "You know exactly what you're getting into until you get here," says Dave. So true.

Here's what I wish I would have done differently. I should've brought more underwear and at least 3 pairs of durable shoes (Keen's are great, Chacos are favorites of PCV's and some Birkenstocks because I love them). I wish I would've forgotten about the packing list and packed what I would've for any other vacation, including some long skirts and t-shirts since that's all I wear in my village. I stressed too much about packing and didn't believe that you can get all the basics here in Fiji. I wish I would've brought some of my scrapbooking tools and paper, so I could get started on a rockin scrapbook while still in Fiji. Some watercolors since I've always wanted to learn to paint.

The absolute best thing I brought: music.

I only packed one suitcase and a small backpack and I've been fine here. (Especially because I had amazing friends and family that send me ridiculous care packages. So if you don't have these, well that sucks for you, but also you might want to pack more. haha)

I guess my advice to the newbies is have a great time in the States before you leave and eat your favorite foods and see your favorite people and get ready for a topsy-turvy adventure. Do all that and you'll be set.

No comments: