Tuesday, July 1, 2008

lets talk about sex, baby.

Our community is amazing. For our community project, we decided to do a workshop on sexual/reproductive health. Our village had expressed a specific need in educating the youth on their bodies, sex, STD's/STI's, HIV/AIDS, and prevention. And then the elders all agreed that this was the best project for their community right now. Amazing. We separated the boys and girls. Both groups were so professional and asked great questions. The other trainees and I were rather nervous because these are "our families", our people. At this point, we aren't incredibly familiar with taboos and Fijian culture. How far should we go? How in depth? Will anyone be offended? Will there be repercussions from this workshop?

We talked about everything and even did a condom demonstration. It's customary to ask for permission before you present controversial information. So we would say "we're going to talk about ______ next. Is that ok with everyone?" Wait for head nods or quickly raised eyebrows (which is the nonverbal communication for yes), then flip the flip chart and move on. We also got some very positive feedback from the mothers. I know our village is pretty liberal, so this wasn't as controversial as it might be in other places, but the approval of the villagers is still very important.

Language is an essential. I can't explain the power of speaking to them in Fijian. School is taught in English, so most people speak it pretty well, but it's still their second language. So learning to speak Fijian close-to-fluently is crucial to doing work here. I did get a prideful high after everything though. The first time you learn about sex is such a monumental moment in people's life. It was in mine. Knowing that I was that person for these girls was pretty powerful.

Side Note: I already have a wish list started. Yes, I'm selfish (and optimistic)...but most of the items are really simple. I'll post it when I get a chance. It's at home on my wall right now. Along with my list of items to purchase for site, and my language poster of phrases I need to practice. Guilt can be incredible motivator.

1 comment:

- Meg said...

I hope you are enjoying yourself. You are doing such a wonderful thing and should be so proud of yourself, I know I am proud of you!