Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Isa Na Una

My host mom from Lomainasau passed away on Sunday. I found out the day of the funeral and gathered some grog and bread (for tea time) and boarded the bus.

It was strange to go back to my host village. I haven't seen those people in 10 months and I was really nervous. I was ready (I thought) for all the questions about my new home, but was not prepared for the barrage of people I would have to greet.

I enjoyed my time though. Told some stories in Fijian and everyone was impressed that I could actually express myself. That is to be expected though since last time they spoke to me I could barely eke out a "my name is amy" without stuttering. Now I'm telling ridiculous stories about fishing and jumping off bridges.

I tried to sleep in my old room but couldn't manage it after a full night of grogging. I eventually went out to the living room to sleep on the floor with all the old ladies after a rat bit my foot then scurried across my legs. I hopped to my feet, and ran to the living room, blanket and pillow in tow. I did a little white person scream too. I still can't get over things crawling on me. Crawl all over the floor, the cupboards, the ceiling, but my body is tabu!

In 100 nights, I will return again to drink more grog, eat more bread and be a major lazy person (salute major lazy person) for a couple days. All in all, it was a good visit, I'm just bummed it was under such somber conditions.

No comments: