Saturday, October 11, 2008

some recent news/miscellaneous sentences

The american economy is shite and I'm nervous for my family.
I've spent some time on vacation and I'm scared to go back to my village.
Fiji is indescribable.
I have a dog. his name is lutu, which means to fall because he's still a pup and he falls a lot. I like to watch him eat because his belly gets so fat that all 4 legs can't touch the ground at one time, so he kinda hops around after that. beautiful.
I'm ready to jump into some projects I've been working on. Including but not limited to life skillz workshops at the high school, obtaining a water tank for my village, the mangrove and fruit tree nurseries, clean-up days, etc.
Fart tubes are immature and one of the funniest things about fiji. (Instructions for fart tube: Roll up a piece of paper, a poster works best. Sneak up behind your unsuspecting victim, place prepared fart tube beside their ear, your mouth on the other end. Make fart sound in tube. Laugh hysterically with your friends.)
I've been snorkeling a lot this week and I saw an octopus, a lionfish, a sting ray, a moray eel, a crown of thorns starfish, lots of parrotfish, and a myriad of brightly colored school fish. I'm wondering why I didn't become a marine biologist...there's still time.
I've met many interesting people at this hostel and I'm sad that I will probably never see them again in my life.
I'm growing up.
I'm proud of my friends. In Fiji and in America.
Life is moving.
I want to wear American clothes in my village because wearing long skirts stiffles my movement/body comportment.
My feet are all cut up from the reef. It was worth it. I need to invest in some reef shoes, but the other day I learned how to farm coral and make fish houses. Restoring the reef is extremely important to prevent beach erosion and to preserve the wildlife of Fiji's oceans. We spent an entire day at the Shangri-La resort learning and doing hands-on activities with corals. It was one of the coolest things I've done while here. I got to touch live coral and plant it in the ocean. We also made a fish house out of concrete and old washed up rock. (and we put our names on it so in 30 years I can come back and find it on the reef.) It'll be put into the ocean and will eventually house the coral we planted. A very sustainable project and it was exciting to be a part of it.
I want to speak the language of the Scots, or the Irish. Their English is so different and very expressive in a unique way. It's fun to talk to them.

1 comment:

Habitat for Humanity--August trip to Mongolia said...

I am sups jells (as my roommate says) of your coral reef experience! That is one of those "check off of life's to do list" type of things. Amazing...

Economy is absolutely awful. Hope the election turns things around. Mailed my absentee ballot application last week. Funny that my vote will be canceling out my Dad's. HAHAHA.