Friday, June 20, 2008

is this really peace corps?

Hello lovers! Wow, it's been so long. I have no idea where to start. Fiji is beautiful, but that's no new news. We have been very busy with training, learning Fijian and doing our health training. I will probably repeat stories to you all at some point. Get used to it. It's hard to remember who I've written snail mail and emails and who got what details and all that jazz, so be under the assumption that you'll receive duplicate info. Also assume that as my Fijian improves, my english will deteriorate. Most of us, myself included, have already witnessed this as I try and locate the correct english word from my brain files and usually fail. So don't say I didn't warn you. Now on to the fun stuff!

Today we did a scavenger hunt around Suva, the capital. Just to familiarize ourselves so when we come here to do official PC business or talk to government officials, we'll know how to get around. Needless to say, my team kicked butt. We ended up in a mad sprint up a hill that would rival water tower hill at the hilly. And then we ran down it. And then up the PC hill. And all that with my 10 pound backpack on. And the other teams thought they had a chance?! Not in their dreams. They had no idea the dedication involved by group 3.

Basically, we have a lot of fun. There I said it. We spend most days learning language, going to tour a health facility, listen to talks about health, do hands on activities like lesson planning for presentations, and then we sit around with our host families and drink grog or play cards. I'm trying to learn Fijian but it still sounds like gibberish. For instance, Na yacaqu o Emi. Na vosa mada vakavalagi. My name is Amy. Please speak English. haha No it's not too bad and my teacher Dee says that my mouth moves like a Fijian and my pronounciation is spot on. Or so she says. :)

I love all the emails and letters from home. There are a few things I wouldn't mind receiving from the states. Little candies. Candy is super expensive. (like starburst and sour patch kids don't exist here) I definitely miss the food of America. Probably Fijian food is often fried and they love root crops, which I affectionately call "blah" because that's what it tastes like.

I'm getting used to being sweaty all the time. Or wet. Or both. hah They often happen simultaneously. But I like it here and I'm excited to find out my site on July 4th. We will start living at our sites in 4 short weeks! It's coming up so soon. I definitely miss America, but I feel like this is the right thing for me now. I'm reassured that I'm doing the right thing when I hear from you all. I guess I'm just glad you're all still living life just fine without me. :)

2 comments:

Markus Mueller said...

Sounds great! I hope that your experiences continue to be so good. Continue to update I would love to hear more.
Natedowg

Gabby Girl said...

My English went to total crap when I lived in China. I couldn't even write correctly half the time. It was pretty funny.